It’s reached that time of year again. It’s officially too hot to use any appliance in our small, one-bedroom apartment. Dinner-sized salads have edged out comforting soups and stews on my dinner rotation. I came home from work needing something quick to eat. Since I didn’t have any leftover protein in the fridge, I went to my trusty cupboard and grabbed a can of chickpeas. These little beans pack a punch of protein, vitamins and minerals, as well as heart healthy fibre. You’ve heard me talk about fibre before and for good reason. Most of us simply don’t get enough! By adding more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and these versatile legumes into your diet, you can easily boost the amount of fibre you eat.
This salad has all the key ingredients of a delicious and satisfying meal-sized salad; crunchy vegetables, tangy dressing, protein-packed chickpeas and a burst of flavour from the lemon and fresh herbs. I can already picture this salad going perfectly alongside grilled meat or fish, or even wrapped in a tortilla for a quick lunch.
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 4 mini cucumbers or 1/2 english cucumber, quartered and diced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (2% or non-fat)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Serve immediately or you can allow the flavours to mingle in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.